|MACARONI & CHEESE |
– 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
– 6 slices good white bread, crusts removed, torn into 0.5cm- 1cm pieces
– 5 1/2 cups milk
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 2 tsp. salt
– 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
– 1/2 kg grated sharp white cheddar cheese
– 200 g grated Gruyure cheese
– 1/2 kg elbow macaroni
How to prepare:1. Heat the oven to 200°C. Butter a 3L casserole dish; set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set bread crumbs aside.
2. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.
3. While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
4. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyure; set cheese sauce aside.
5. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer’s directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce
6. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyure, and bread crumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.
|TUNA CASSEROLE |
– 1 1/3 cups bow tie pasta or 1 cup macaroni
– 1 cup chopped celery
– 1/3 cup chopped onions
– 300g condensed cream of mushroom soup can
– 3/4 cup milk
– 250g tuna can, drained
– 1/4 cup drained and chopped pimientos
– 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
– Snipped fresh parsley
How to prepare:1. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Lightly spray an unheated medium saucepan with no-stick spray. Add the celery and onions. Cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Stir in the condensed soup and milk. Then gently stir in the pasta, tuna and pimiento.
3. Transfer the mixture to a 1.5l casserole. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the parsley to garnish.
Makes 4 servings
|CHICKEN STEW |
– 4 medium sized chicken breasts or thigh, skinned
– 3 medium parsnips, chopped small
– 3 medium carrots, chopped small
– 1 medium onion, diced
– 1 tbsp. olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 tbsp. Paprika
– 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
– 1 cup of hot water
– ½ tsp. of your favorite dried herbs
(thyme, basil etc or a combination)
– Pepper and salt to taste
How to prepare:1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. While the oil heats, combine flour, paprika and pepper (if desired) in a bowl. Dredge chicken until complete covered in flour. Add to hot oil.
2. Cook chicken until well browned. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add vegetables, cook until almost tender.
3. Remove chicken and place on plate. You will be adding it back to the mixture later.
4. Push vegetables to outer edge of pan. In center of pan add 1 tbsp. of flour to oil (add additional oil if there is not enough, you are making a roux). Cook flour and oil stirring constantly until it darkens somewhat (it will start to become a lot smoother). Add 1 cup of hot water, stirring constantly. Stir vegetables back into sauce. Add herbs and stir until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add chicken to mixture. Simmer covered until vegetables are tender and stew has reached desired thickness (if stew is too thick, add a small amount of water and stir well)
6. When chicken is completely cooked serve immediately, the stew will thicken substantially as it cools.
7. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or by itself with a nice slice of fresh bread.
|SPAGHETTI WITH TUNA |
– 600g tomatoes (about 3), cut into approximately 2cm dice
– 6 tbsp. olive oil
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
– 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
– 1 tsp. salt
– 1/2 tsp. fresh-ground black pepper
– 400g spaghetti
– 2 x 200g cans tuna packed in oil, drained
How to prepare:1. In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, oil, garlic, basil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
2. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti until just done, about 12 minutes.
3. Drain and toss the pasta with the tuna and the tomato mixture.
|PEPPERED STEAK IN BEER AND GARLIC |
– 4 beef sirloin or round steaks about 200g each
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– ½ cup brown ale or stout
– 2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
– 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
– 1 tbsp. crushed black peppercorns
How to prepare:1. Place the steaks in a dish and add the garlic, ale or stout, sugar and oil. Turn to coat evenly, then let marinade in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours or over night.
2. Remove the steaks from the dish; and reserve the marinade. Sprinkle the peppercorns over the steaks, and press them firmly into the surface.
3. Cook the steaks on a hot grill, basting them occasionally with the reserved marinade during cooking. (Take care when basting, as the alcohol will tend to flare up: Spoon or brush on just a small amount at a time.)
4. Turn the steaks once during cooking, and cook them for about 3-6 minutes on each side depending on how rare you like them.
|CHICKEN PAPRIKASH |
– 1 cup green bell pepper strips
– 1/2 cup chopped onion
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
– 1 tbsp. hot paprika
– 3 tbsp. tomato paste
– 1/2 tsp. salt
– 1/4 tsp. pepper
– 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
– 1/2 cup sour cream
– 4 cups hot cooked egg noodles
– Coarsely ground pepper
How to prepare:1. Combine first 3 ingredients in an 20-cm square baking dish. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until tender; stir in broth and next 4 ingredients (broth through 1/4 teaspoon pepper).
2. Add chicken breasts, nestling them into vegetable mixture. Cover with heavy-duty plastic wrap, and vent. Microwave at HIGH 8 to 9 minutes, turning over chicken pieces after 4 minutes.
3. Remove chicken from dish; set aside, and keep warm.
4. Stir sour cream into vegetable mixture. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds.
|FOIL GRILLED HERBED FISH |
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1 small white onion, chopped
– Fresh or dried Mediterranean herbs, such as a combination of tarragon, thyme, parsley, and dill weed, to taste
– about 1kg fish
How to prepare:1. Preheat grill according to manufacturer’s instructions. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, onion, and herbs.
2. Spread out a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil large enough to form an envelope around the fish. Pour half of the oil and herb marinade on the foil then lay the fish on top. Pour the remaining marinade on top of the fish. Fold sides and ends of the foil into a secure envelope.
|VEAL WITH BACON |
– 500 g veal sirloin (fillet) or veal rump, cut in a 3 cm thick slice
– 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
– 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
– 2 slices smoked bacon,
cut 1 cm thick
– 12 garlic cloves, peeled
– 1 tsp. rosemary leaves
– 6 sage leaves
– 3 bay leaves
– 2 tbsp. dry white vermouth
– 12 black olives
How to prepare:1. Brush the veal on both sides with 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and the pepper on both sides. Let stand for 30 minutes. Cut the bacon into 5 mm julienne.
2. Pour the remaining oil into a 23 cm cast-iron pot or pan. Add the bacon, garlic, rosemary, sage and bay leaves and mix well. Place the meat in the pot and cook over gentle heat for 8 minutes on each side. Stir the garlic and bacon regularly.
3. Remove the meat and keep it warm between 2 dishes. Cook the garlic and bacon for another 5 minutes, stirring, over gentle heat. Spoon off the rendered fat. Add the vermouth and cook until evaporated. Add the olives. Add 2 tablespoons water and the juices from the meat and mix well. Return the meat to the pot and warm over gentle heat for 3 minutes, stirring it in the sauce.
4. Arrange the meat on a platter. Garnish with the garlic and bacon and blanket with the sauce.
|BEEF RIB ROAST |
How to prepare:1. In medium roasting pan (about 35cm by 25cm), place beef rib roast, fat-side up. In mortar with pestle, crush peppercorns with salt. Rub peppercorn mixture over roast. Insert meat thermometer into center of roast, being careful that pointed end of thermometer does not touch bone.
2. Roast beef in 160°C. oven until meat thermometer reaches 60°C. (about 40 minutes per kilo). Internal temperature of meat will rise to 62°C. (medium-rare) upon standing. Or, roast to desired doneness.
3. When beef is done, place on warm large platter and let stand 15 minutes for easier carving.
|BRAIDED EGG BREAD |
– 5 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 package active dry yeast
– 1-1/4 cups water
– 3 tablespoons sugar
– 3 tablespoons margarine
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 eggs
– 1 beaten egg yolk (optional)
– 2 teaspoons poppy seed (optional)
How to prepare:1. In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir water, sugar, margarine, and salt just till warm (50°C) and margarine almost melts.
2. Add water mixture to dry mixture along with the eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double in size (about 1 hour).4. Punch dough down; divide in thirds. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Roll each third into an 45-cm rope. Place ropes on a large baking sheet 2.5 cm apart and braid. Cover; let rise 30 minutes or till nearly double. Brush braid with egg yolk and sprinkle with poppy seed, if desired.
5. Bake in a 200°C oven for 25 to 30 minutes or till bread sounds hollow when you tap the top (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking).
6. Remove bread from pan. Cool on wire rack. Makes 1 braid (32 servings).
|GARLIC AND BASIL MASHED POTATOES |
– 10 cloves garlic, unpeeled
– 3 tbsp. olive oil
– 9 medium potatoes (1,5 kg.)
– 200 g. dairy sour cream
– 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, snipped
– 3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
– Fresh basil leaves
How to prepare:1. Place garlic in an individual souffle dish or ramekin. Drizzle oil over garlic. Bake in a 180°C. oven about 20 minutes or until garlic is very soft; cool. Peel the garlic, discarding skins and reserving oil.
2. Meanwhile, peel and cut up the potatoes. Cook, covered, in boiling salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Beat potatoes with an electric mixer on low speed. Add sour cream, the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, baked garlic, reserved oil, and salt. Gradually beat in enough milk to make fluffy. Fold in snipped basil. Spoon the potato mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole.3. Cover and bake in a 160°C. oven for 40 minutes. Stir; sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minuts more or until heated through. If desired, garnish with additional basil leaves. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
|CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOMS |
– 4 medium chicken breast halves, with skin
– all purpose flour
– 2 tbs. vegetable oil
– 600 g. mushrooms, sliced
– 4 large shallots, chopped
– 1 1/2 tbs. chopped thyme
– 1 1/2 tbs. chopped tarragon
– 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
– 1 cup dry white wine
How to prepare:
1. Sprinkle chicken with some salt and pepper; dust with enough flour to coat thinly. 2. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; saute until brown, about 4 minutes per side.3. Transfer to plate. Add mushrooms, shallots, thyme, and tarragon to skillet.
4. Saute until mushrooms are cooked through and juices are reduced to glaze, about 12 minutes.
5. Add broth and wine to skillet. Boil until reduced by half, about 8 minutes.
6. Return chicken to skillet. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and liquid thickens to sauce consistency, about 6 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken and sauce to plates.
|CARAWAY PORK WITH CABBAGE |
– 4 teaspoons caraway seed, crushed
– 2 large garlic cloves, minced
– 2 teaspoons salt
– 1 teaspoon ground pepper
– 1.5kg. boneless double loin center cut pork roast
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 large onion, sliced
– 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
– 2 bay leaves
– 1kg cabbage, shredded
– 0.33l beer
– 2 tablespoons molasses
– 1 cup beef broth
How to prepare:
1. Combine half of the caraway, the garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Place pork in a glass baking dish. Rib pork with spice mixture. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.2. Preheat oven to 180°C. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, carrots, bay leaves, and half of the remaining caraway; saute until soft (8 minutes).
3. Transfer to a roasting pan. in the same skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over high heat. Add half of the cabbage and half of the remaining caraway. Saute until the cabbage wilts. Add to onion mixture. Repeat with remaining cabbage. Season entire cabbage onion mixture with salt and pepper.
4. In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat. Add pork; brown on all sides (10 minutes). Set atop the vegetables in pan. Add beer and molasses to skillet; bring to a boil, scraping browned bits. Pour over vegetables. Add broth.
5. Roast pork and vegetables for 45 minutes. Turn pork over and roast until thermometer inserted into thick part registers 65°C (45 more minutes). Place pork on cutting board. Discard bay leaves. Using slotted spoon, place vegetables on platter.
6. Slice pork; place atop vegetables. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan. Boil 5 minutes. Spoon over pork.
|VEAL MUSHROOM RAGOUT |
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1/2kg. veal, scalloped
– 250g. mushroom, sliced 0.5cm thick
– 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
– 3 tablespoons heavy cream
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup demi glace
– 1/4 cup parsley
How to prepare:
1. Place a large, heavy skillet over high heat.2. When it is very hot, add the vegetable oil.3. Add the veal medallions and saute, tossing frequently, for about 2 minutes, or until seared.
4.Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more, tossing, until they give up their liquid.
5. Add the mustard, cream, salt, a generous amount of pepper, and the demiglace.
6. Stir to mix thoroughly and remove from heat.
|CHEESY CHICKEN WINGS |
– 16 chicken wings
– 2 Tbsp. margarine
– 3/4 cup crumbled crackers
or fine bread crumbs
– 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
– 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
– 1/2 tsp. garlic
– salt Fresh basil or parsley,
How to prepare:1. Wash chicken wings and pat dry.2. In a bowl combine the crumbled crackers or bread crumbs,
herbs and Parmesan cheese.
3. Add seasonings and mix well to blend.
4. Melt butter.
5. Dip chicken wings, first in melted margarine and into the
6. Arrange chicken wings in lightly oiled ovenproof baking dish.
7. Bake chicken Wings at 200°C for about 30 minutes or until
Serve with steamed broccoli or string beans, fried rice and a
|FILLED PEPPERS |
– 3 red bell peppers
– 2 green or yellow bell peppers
– 1 cup ground veal/chicken
– 3 green onions, chopped
– 1 clove garlic, minced
– 170g. cream cheese
– 1 egg
– 3 Tbsp. half-and-half (cream)
– 1 tsp. cumin
– Dash salt and Pepper
How to prepare:1. Slice the tops off the peppers. Pull out the seeds and the cores. Dice 1 red pepper. Set aside. Save the tops.2. Combine the diced red pepper and ground veal or chicken in a mixing bowl. Add the green onions and garlic. Stir in soft cream cheese and blend with a wooden spoon.
3. Stir in the egg and half-and-half, then add the grated cheese. Season with cumin and salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C.
5. Place the pepper shells in a baking dish that will hold them snugly together. Spoon the filling into the peppers. Replace the tops. Pour 3 tablespoons of water around the peppers.
6. Bake at 180°C until the filling is puffed and the peppers are soft, about 40 minutes. Serve immediately.
|PHYLLO PIE FILLED WITH MELTED CHEESEIngredients needed: |
– 6-8 cups milk
|How to prepare:Preheat oven to 180°C. Beat the eggs thoroughly and mix with the crumbled cheese. In a pot, simmer the milk and the butter. Add the flour stirring constantly so that the mixture doesn’t crumble. When the mixture has thicken remove from the heat and add the crumbled feta cheese and the beaten eggs. Stir the mixture well. |
Melt the butter for brushing the phyllo. In a 30cm x 40cm baking dish spread half of the phyllo brushing each layer one by one with the butter. Add the cheese mixture to it. Cover the mixture with the other half of the phyllo, brushing again each layer one by one with the butter.
With a knife score the top of the pie with thin lines that divide it into 5-by-5 cm squares. Put the pie into the oven for 45-60 minutes until its surface has a nice brown color. Serve hot.
|ROAST LAMB WITH POTATOES |
– one 3 kilo leg of young spring lamb
– 2 to 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
– 4 tablespoons olive oil
– 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 20 small potatoes, peeled
– 2 tablespoons tomato paste, diluted in 1/4 cup water
– 2 cups hot water
|How to prepare:Preheat oven to 230 degrees. |
Wash leg of lamb. Slit with a sharp knife in various places on both sides of lamb. Insert garlic slices in slits. Season with salt, pepper, add 1/2 tablespoon oregano, and brush with olive oil. Pour lemon juice over lamb and place in roasting pan, fat side up. Roast for about 1/2 hour.
While lamb is browning, combine salt, tomato paste, and water and pour over potatoes. Add to roasting pan; sprinkle with remaining oregano. Lower oven temperature to 180°C. Roast for 1 1/2 hours, turning and basting the potatoes occasionally. Remove to a hot serving platter; slice and serve meat surrounded by potatoes.
– 1 pound ground round
– 1/2 cup grated onion
– 1 tablespoon minced garlic
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1/8 teaspoon dried mint
– 1 or 2 slices white bread
– 1/2 cup white wine or water
– 1 egg
– flour for rolling
– vegetable oil for frying
|How to prepare:Mix meat, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and mint. Remove crusts from bread slices and moisten in wine or water. Add bread and egg to meat. Knead mixture. Shape into 1-inch balls, dust with flour, and sauté in hot vegetable oil. When meatballs are cooked and browned on all sides, place immediately in covered casserole and keep warm until ready to serve.|
|How to prepare:In a mixing bowl, combine yeast with 1 1/2 cups of flour. Combine water, oil, salt, and sugar and add to yeast mixture. Beat for 1/2 minute with an electric mixer at low speed; then beat for 3 minutes at high speed. Work in remaining flour by hand to form a smooth and elastic dough. Put in a greased bowl in a warm spot, cover, and let rise for 45 minutes. Punch dough down, divide into 12 pieces, and roll each into a ball. Let rest for 10 minutes. |
Flatten each ball into a 5-inch circle. Place on a greased baking sheet; cover and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned on bottom. Immediately wrap in foil and cool.
|CHICKEN IN WINE SAUCE |
– Chicken (1 kg)
– 100 grams butter
– 3 small or 2 big onions
– 150 grams bacon
– 1 dl cognac/vinjak
– 2 dl red wine
– 2 dl chicken bouillon (made of 2 dl water and two squares of bouillon tablets)
– parsley, thyme, laurier, garlic
– 250 grams mushrooms
– salt, pepper
– 25 grams flower
|How to prepare:Make 50 grams butter warm in a pan and fry the chicken (in pieces) from all sides brown (10 minutes). Cut the onions small and cut the bacon in small squares. Take the chicken out of the pan and fry in the juices the bacon and the onion. Put the chicken meat back in the pan and add the cognac. |
Add the wine, plus the parsley, thyme and laurier, the (washed and cut) mushrooms and the small cut garlic. Add salt and pepper as preferred. Make it boiling and put the lid on the pan. Leave it slowly boiling for 45 minutes till the meat is ready.
Mix the flower and the rest of the butter with a fork and add slowly to the sauce. Put the chicken on a plate and add the sauce over and around it.
|ROAST CHICKEN WITH OREGANO AND LEMON |
Ingredients needed :
– 1 roasting chicken, about 2.5 kg
– 1 lemon, quartered
– 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
– salt to taste, plus 1 teaspoon salt
– freshly ground pepper
– 12 cloves garlic, crushed
– 2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons oregano
– 1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice
– 2 teaspoons coarsely cracked pepper
– 6 boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into large wedges
– 1 cup (250 ml) water or chicken stock
– 1/4 cup (10 g) chopped fresh parsley
|How to prepare:Preheat an oven to 400°F (200°C). |
Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Rub the chicken inside and out with the cut lemon quarters, 1-2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and ground pepper. Place the lemon quarters, 4 of the garlic cloves and the 2 teaspoons oregano in the chicken cavity. Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.
In a small saucepan, combine the remaining olive oil, the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the oregano, the coarsely cracked pepper and the 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 3 minutes to blend the flavors. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Place the potatoes around the chicken and sprinkle them with the remaining 1 tablespoon oregano and the remaining 8 garlic cloves. Spoon a little of the simmered lemon-oil mixture over the chicken. Pour 1 cup (8 fl oz/250 ml) water or stock evenly over the potatoes and place in the oven. Roast for 15 minutes. Baste the chicken with some of the lemon-oil mixture and reduce the heat to 350°F (180°C). Roast the chicken, basting with the lemon-oil mixture every 10-15 minutes, until the juices run clear when the thigh joint is pierced or an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion of the thigh away from the bone registers 165°F (74°C), about 1 hour.
Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. If the potatoes aren’t golden brown, raise the heat to 450°F (230°C) and cook for 15-20 minutes longer, adding more water or stock if needed to prevent sticking.
Arrange the potatoes alongside the chicken. Using a large spoon, skim off the fat from the roasting pan, then pour the pan juices into a serving container. Sprinkle the chicken and potatoes with the parsley. Carve the chicken and pass the pan juices at the table.
|GRILLED EGGPLANT MOUSSAKA |
Ingredients needed :
– 60 to 80 ml olive oil
– 1 large red onion, chopped
– 2 tablespoons plain flour
– 500 ml milk
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
– 2 lightly beaten eggs
– 1 large eggplant peeled and sliced – 60 g crumbled feta cheese
– 125 g grated mild melting cheese
– 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
|How to prepare:In a 2-qt/2-l saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Cook onion over medium heat in hot oil for 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute; add milk all at once. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and nutmeg. Stir 4 fl oz/125 ml of the milk mixture into beaten eggs; gradually stir egg mixture back into remaining milk mixture, stirring constantly. Cover and remove from heat. |
Preheat grill. Arrange eggplant (aubergine) slices on a large baking sheet. Brush both sides of slices with the remaining 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Grill slices 4 in/10 cm from heat for 8-10 minutes, or till golden brown, turning once. (If all slices do not fit on baking sheet, grill half the slices at a time.)
Arrange half the grilled slices in a greased 2-qt/2-l rectangular baking dish. Spoon half the milk sauce evenly over eggplant (aubergine). Sprinkle all the feta cheese and half the mild melting cheese over sauce. Arrange remaining eggplant (aubergine) slices in a layer over cheeses; sprinkle with remaining mild melting cheese. Spoon remaining sauce over all; sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350°F/180°C oven for 30 minutes, or till heated through.
|TURKEY WITH CABBAGEIngredients needed : |
– 1 turkey
|How to prepare:Wash the turkey and clean it. Add salt and other spices. Bake it in a hot oven. Add some water from time to time, during the baking. After the turkey is baked, use the same oil to prepare the cabbage. Add chopped onion on the oil, add cabbage, spices and water from time to time. The temperature should be medium. |
Put pieces of turkey on the cabbage and return it to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
|LIVERIngredients needed : |
– 8 pieces of chicken’s liver
|How to prepare:Cut each piece of liver along its length. Spice the liver. Use long, thin pieces of bacon. Put one piece of liver on one piece of bacon. Roll the bacon. Fry prepared pieces of bacon with liver in a pan. You can serve it with tomato.|
|TOMATO FILLED WITH MEAT |
Ingredients needed :– 600g of veal
– 100g of onion
– 4 eggs
– cooking oil
|How to prepare:Wash the tomato and carefully with the knife take off the top of each tomato. Take off the core, also. Leave the tomato to dry. Mince the veal in the meantime. Fry chopped onion and add minced meat, salt and pepper. When the meat is fried, add chopped parsley, beaten eggs and some cooked rise. Fill the tomato with this mixture and put it in a saucepan. Bake for about 25 minutes. |
Serve on top of cooked rise in a plate with tomato juice or ketchup.
MADE WITH LAMB MEATIngredients needed :– 800 g of lamb meat
– 2 spoons of oil
– 600 g of spinach
– 3 pieces of garlic
– 1 onion
– 1 spoon of flour
– 1 sour cream
– pepper, salt, other spices
|How to prepare: |
Salt the lamb and then put it on hot oil. Fry it until it has a nice color and is soft. Wash the spinach, and prepare it with garlic and onion for frying. Take the lamb out of the pot and then put the spinach, onion and garlic in the same pot and continue to fry until they are soft. Add the lamb meat, spread the flour and add spices. Continue to cook on medium temperature. Add some water from time to time if necessary.
Serve it with sour cream.
|FILLED EGG PLANTSIngredients needed : |
– 2 big or 4 small egg-plants
How to prepare:Wash the egg-plants. Cut the each egg-plant along its length and take off the core. Salt the egg-plants and leave them to stay for a while. Dry them with napkins and add some lemon juice. Place the egg-plants on heated oil, add some wine and fry for about ten minutes.Take the egg-plants away from the heat and place them in a fire-proved saucepan.
Use the same oil to fry chopped onion, mixed ground meat, garlic, ground core of the egg-plants and the spices. At the end, add parsley and eggs. Use this filling to fill the egg-plants and then pour some cheese and bake for about 20 minutes on temperature of 200°C.
|TROUTIngredients needed : |
– 4 trout
How to prepare:Clean the trout, dry it and then salt it. Put trout into the flour before you fry it.Take the fried trout from the pan. Add butter, spices, lemon juice and water into the pan and boil for a while. Add sour cream before you take the pan off the temperature.
|FILLED CAPSICUMSIngredients needed : |
– 8 capsicums
How to prepare:Empty the capsicums, boil them for 5 minutes in water with salt and then soft them. Chop the onion, bacon, and mushrooms and fry them. Add spices and parsley.Fill the capsicums with the filling and put them in previously oiled fire-resistant pot to bake for around 30 minutes.
|CARP WITH WINEIngredients needed : |
– 1 carp
How to prepare:Wash the fish, add salt and leave it for a couple of hours. Then fill it with chopped onion, spread oil over the fish, pour pepper and put the fish in saucepan with cooking oil. During the baking add wine.Serve it with the sauce used for baking or with rise.
Ingredients needed :– 1 kg of flour
How to prepare:Soak the yeast and after a while put it into flour and prepare the paste. Divide the paste into 4 equal pieces. Use rolling tin to make each of these pieces thin and flat.Chop the meat. Add salt. Put the meat on top of each piece of pasta and spread it. Put lard on the meat and if you prefer add pepper also. Put the pastrmajlii (prepared like this) in the oven. Bake it on temperatures of 250°C. Before they are ready, add 1 egg and finish the baking.
Serve it hot.
|“ZELNIK”Ingredients needed : |
– 1 kg of flour
How to prepare:Prepare the paste: Divide it into two pieces and then each piece divide into 10 equal pieces. Make a “kora” of each piece. “Kora” is a thin peace of paste made by rolling tin. Spread some oil on each “kora” and put one “kora” on another until you use 10 for one big “kora” and the other ten for another big kora. One “kora” should be bigger than another. Take the smaller one and put it at the bottom of a saucepan. Spread the filling. Put the other “kora” (the bigger one) on the filling and place it nicely. Pour some oil on top.Put the saucepan in the oven. Bake it on temperature of 250°C for half an hour.
Filling: chop the vegetable and fry it on oil for a while.
|“TURLITAVA”Ingredients needed : |
– 1 kg of mixed meat – pork, veal, mutton
How to prepare:Chop meat and fresh vegetable and put it in pottery saucepan. Add spices, stir and then add cooking oil and water. Don’t put too much water, just enough so that turlitava is soft after cooking.Put the saucepan in oven and cook it at 200°C for an hour and a half. During that time, stir two-three times. When the meal is ready, it has golden-red crust.
|“TAVCHE-GRAVCHE”Ingredients needed : |
– 500g of bean
How to prepare:Wash the bean and leave it to stay in water during the night. After that cook it till it boils, drains it and put it in another hot water. Then add chopped onion and capsicum.
Continue to cook it till the beans are soft but integral. If there is too much water left, drain the bean.
In another bowl fry the chopped onion and paprika on cooking oil and then add this to the bean. Put everything in pottery saucepan and then pour some parsley, mint, pepper and salt on it.
Put the saucepan in oven and bake for a while (bean shouldn’t be too dry).
|“SARMA”Ingredients needed :
– pickled cabbage leaves
How to prepare:Cut the onion into small pieces and fry it on oil . Add the ground meat , red pepper, pepper, salt , spices the rice also . Then use the mixture to stuff the pickled cabbage leaves. Line them up in a pot , but first line up pickled cabbage leaves at the bottom of the pot. Put the steamed mead in between the stuffed cabbage leaves. Then , spill over some hot water and boil it on a silent fire , and them put them in the oven to bake.
By the end of the baking , you can add come oil and red pepper ( which have been fried before ). Cover the pieces with pickled cabbage leaves.
The whole has to be dry , not very moist .
|“SELSKO MESO”Ingredients needed :
– 1kg. pork meat (of thigh)
How to prepare:First do the meatballs where you include a piece of ground onion salt, pepper and spices. Then cut the pork into small pieces and fry it on oil, add the ground onion and fry it together. After they redden you add the tomatoes (or the ketchup), the mushrooms, the smoked meat and the small meat balls, add spices, salt, red pepper, bukovec and pepper into the mixture.
On the other hand, dissolve a spoon full of flour into a glass of water (the one in which the mushrooms have been) and also add a glass of wine.
The whole mixture is baked (roasted) in the oven in a baking dish made of clay.
By the end of the baking you can add cheese and cream according to your own taste.